Re: [Tails-ux] Results second Tails Server user tests

Author: Susan
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
CC: George Kadianakis, anonym
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Results second Tails Server user tests
To me, these round colored spots look like colored lights on hardware that light up (turn on) when indicating something.

Yes, using color+label is a best practice, because color alone can't signal well if you don't know which color it is.

If only one color of light is shown at a time, and if labels next to the lights also indicate the state, and if people can understand the labels, then I think we avoid the colorblindness issues. So maybe this won't be a problem for this dialog.

Alternatively, lights that appear only when indicating something is "on" may avoid the issue and signal in a more obvious way.

Alternatively, small, icons (glyphs) are often used to reinforce labels and colors. So, instead of coloring the same shape in different ways, the difference in shapes of the icons convey meaning. But maybe that won't be necessary.

Some examples of these problems and solutions in UIs:
http://www.particletree.com/features/interfaces-and-color-blindness/
The "Bad Cues" examples are commonly tried but don't work well.

Testing with people who see limited colors makes sense to answer the question of noise vs signal.