Re: [Tails-dev] Changing default order in Nautilus

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Changing default order in Nautilus
u:
> Ulrich Viefhaus:
>
>> I added a branch to my personal repo with additions to the
>> documentation, covering this conversation.
>> A new advanced topic for changing gnome settings is added that contains
>> the most common commands for the gnome configuration tool and a warning,
>> that changing settings could lead to lesser privacy.
>
> I let people who are into documentation writing take care of this.

Cool! Thanks for the branch. Changing bits of configuration persistently
is a very frequent request and I'll happily include good documentation
on making this easier. I won't be able to review your branch in details
during the summer but I had a look and have some questions about the big
picture.

On top of documenting how to use gsettings, which you are doing
extensively and that's good, I feel like we need more detailed
explanation on how to make these specific settings persistent.

I didn't test using ~/.dconf as you are suggesting, but only by reading
your documentation, it's not clear to me how it works. Dotfiles only
work for *files* (and not for *folders*). So which file should be
included in the Dotfiles? Also, will this file store all changes made to
the GNOME configuration without allowing the user to choose which
changes are made persistent and which not? Would these be binaries files
or would it be possible for the user to review what's being changed?

For example, on my own setup, I made the ~/.xsessionrc file persistent
using Dotfiles and added lines of gsettings commands to it. This way I
can opt-in for which changes I want to make persistent and also review
the sum of my changes.

If feel like these are two very important properties (opt-in +
reviewable). But I'm not very knowledgeable about GNOME internals so
maybe there's a better option than .xsessionrc.

>> Here is my branch:
>> https://github.com/UlrichViefhaus/dev-tails/tree/gnome-settings
>> Don't know how many people need this. But maybe it could reviewed and
>> added to the official docs? I could also write a German translation.
>
> Please don't hesitate to join the german translation team :))

The German translation team coordinates on tails-l10n@???, see
https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/translate/. It's been quite active
in the last months so it should be easy to find small branches to review
if you subscribe to the list.