Re: [Tails-ux] Results second Tails Server user tests

Author: Spencer
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Results second Tails Server user tests
Hi,

> sajolida:
> [the spectrum of] IT students and non-IT students

Wonderful endpoints XD

> the mental model problem (client-server)
> problematic only with the second group.

This is a problem for everybody.

Based on the origins, 'Client/Server' is accurate. However, to many
people, the concept of 'Client' only refers to the customer of a
business, not *them* as they are connecting to their home router with
their phone.

'Host/Guest' and 'Send/Receive are more familiar pairs but definitely
don't cut it.

> red/green light duplicates the on/off button?

Think of things in the physical world, too (:

Like the flipping of a light switch, which provides two types of
feedback; 1. the switch is flipped; 2. there is light.

For things like electricity flowing to a live wire, the switch is
flipped, and the wire is live and can be verified with a tool.

Unless there is a way to provide a second assurance, such as visualizing
the stream of packets as rainbows where length=size, or something more
reasonable, the lighting system provides a valuable function to
informing that a particular service is running. (Better catch it!)

> differentiating between "button" and "key"

'Key' sources from layered encryption in the physical world; a key to a
lock.

Keys provide access to something through a mapped relationship to that
something.

This is true even in the sense of musical keys which have controls
mapped to produe sounds of varying audibility.

'Button' is the appropriate option since they are all hardware or
software buttons. ('Switch' is too technically accurate, I think)

However, I recommend dropping the word "button" from the text:

'Click the '+' to create a new service.'

Wordlife,
Spencer