[Tails-dev] Update: Porting tails bash scripts to python #11…

Author: GoodCrypto Support
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Update: Porting tails bash scripts to python #11198
We have converted the config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/sbin scripts from bash to python, except live-persist and scripts shorter than 30 lines. We also converted the dependencies for the sbin scripts originally located in config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/lib/tails-shell-library, and updated the earlier ports of config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/bin to work with Tails 2.4rc1.

The i2p scripts have very limited testing because we didn't have time to set up the i2p environment. We started the live-persist script conversion.

All other scripts have been tested in the Tails 2.4rc1 environment. We created a subdirectory in /usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/tailslib and moved all the files from submodules/tailslib to this directory. You should be able to rename all of the usr/local/bin and usr/local/sbin scripts so they do not use the .py extension. All scripts include "#! /usr/bin/python3" and have the executable bit set.

There are doctests for most functions, but they are very preliminary. No edge cases are tested. Some functions that change files should get more thorough checks. When a doctest requires interaction notes are at the top of the file.

We hope this helps. We won't be able to contribute more time until these scripts start being integrated into Tails. Trying to keep up with a moving target as the bash continues to change requires too many resources. :)

If you have bug reports, questions or need any more information, just let us know. We have published all changes on ​https://github.com/goodcrypto/tails.

Nan

GoodCrypto - Warning: Anyone could have read this message. Use encryption, it works.