Re: [Tails-ux] Tails Server GUI Design

Author: segfault
To: anonym, sajolida, George Kadianakis, Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Tails Server GUI Design
I think both anonym's suggestion of graying out the "configure" button
and the current design solve the problems we would have if we used only
a single panel. anonym confirmed that he didn't actually test the
prototype before writing the mail and didn't know the problems he
addressed are already solved in the current design.

So currently I see the following proposals:

1. Use a single panel with either;

A. Somehow make it clear to the user that he needs to restart the
service after changing options

-or-

B. Gray out the options which require restart if the service is running

2. Use the separate status panel and configuration dialogue with either:

C. Name the ok button "Accept and Restart Service" and do exactly that
when it's clicked.

D. Gray out the "configure" button in the status panel while the
service is running.

I would be glad if we could decide on this soon, so I can continue
working on this and implement all the functionality needed for initial
usability tests.

Some of the sarah's ideas would make A less awkward, but I would still
prefer 2. because of the arguments I made in my previous mail.

I prefer C over D - they solve the same problems, but I think D will
provide slightly better UX, because users will be able to look at the
configuration panel and change the controls while the service is
running, only having to restart it to apply the changes.