Re: [Tails-ux] patch to make tails installer UI more foolpro…

Author: Spencer
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
CC: Marc Watson
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] patch to make tails installer UI more foolproof
Hi,

TL;DR
Form is function.

>> Marc Watson:
>> this is a one-time post

Thanks for not posting this again (:

>> the old fight between designers and engineers

Engineers are designers, they make designations.

>> ppl who put "beauty" over functionality and
>> ppl who hold it vice versa.

There seems to be some confusion here; for clarification:

Aesthetics: The way something looks/appears to look.
Function: The way something works/appears to work.

Can you provide an example where function exists without aesthetic
qualities and where aesthetics qualities exist without a function; these
two concepts are inherently tied, it seems.

"Beauty" is often seen as proportional balance, such as in the golden
mean, and can aid in communicating the function/intended function of
product or service.

>> usability

To focus on usability is to focus on beauty.

> sajolida:
> Tails pretends to be

In english, this is very alarming to read.

>> Tails tries do dumb down users (just see the freakin
>> new wizards that annoy all power users).

Simplification can do this but I feel like this is a temporary outcome
of the development process; things will get better but only with help
from people like you (:

Wordlife,
Spencer