Re: [Tails-dev] Small fix in documentation

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Small fix in documentation
xin:
> Hello, I fix three pages in this branch:
>
> Repo : https://git-tails.immerda.ch/xin/tails/
> Branch : smallfix
> Last Commit : 34e0503fabae36e3349a9256fc8c0353c5a72c21
>
> In wiki/src/install/mac/usb/overview.html I fix a typo, in
> wiki/src/doc/anonymous_internet/Tor_Browser.mdwn I add a more usefull
> alt for an image and in wiki/src/doc/about/warning.mdwn
> b/wiki/src/doc/about/warning.mdwn I update the links.

Thanks for hunting down the typo and fixing links. I'm glad translators
find some of these sometimes because otherwise I'm afraid nobody would
never notice :)

Regarding your commits:

- In 87c68ef, I think it would be nice to also update these same links
in the other PO files, so you don't break translations unnecessarily. I
would say you should check whether translations have the exact same link
and update them if so.

- In 34e0503, if you feel adventurous you could do the same: check if
this was translated already in any other language and make sure the
string is not fuzzied again. It's clearly a typo here and translations
shouldn't be affected.

This is the kind of boring work that I do in silence when working on the
doc to avoid breaking too many translated strings for nothing. Tell me
if you don't feel like doing it yourself and I'll do it.

- Regarding 929be82, I was quite ignorant about alt tags myself until
I worked on #10710 last week and read
http://webaim.org/techniques/alttext/ (maybe reading the conclusions
only is still useful).

    In this case we need to find something that "presents the CONTENT
and FUNCTION of the image" while "not be redundant". Both my version and
yours are clearly redundant with the surrounding text. What the image is
about exactly is already described in the sentence before it, and what
needs to be observed in it is already described in the sentence after
it. So all-in-all, maybe leaving an empty alt="" is the more appropriate
here.

    What do you think? Do you have complementary guidelines on how to
write good alt tags?

By the way, we have a ticket about monitoring dead links (#6891) and
it's mostly active thanks to translators. So feel free to join the dance :)