Re: [Tails-ux] Tails Server GUI Design

Author: segfault
To: George Kadianakis, anonym, sajolida, Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Tails Server GUI Design

George Kadianakis:
> segfault <segfault@???> writes:
>
>> [ text/plain ]
>> Finally, the next prototype is ready :)
>> Sorry for the long wait, it took quite some work to create it. I also
>> already implemented some functionality of the CLI to use it for the GUI.
>>
>> You can get it from here:
>> https://gitlab.com/segfault_/tails_server
>>
>> I also append some screenshots.
>>
>> In contrast to the previous design, now the configuration is only
>> displayed via the "Configure" button or when adding a new service. This
>> way the user is required to click the "Accept and Restart Service"
>> button to apply the configuration, making it clear that the service will
>> be restarted. A disadvantage is that some options could actually be
>> changed without restarting the service (and others only require to
>> reload the Tor service), which would not be possible with the new
>> design. Maybe I could add those to the "status panel" (the one which
>> displays the status of the options and contains the configure button,
>> see screenshot 4).
>>
>> There is still a lot of functionality missing:
>> -The option buttons and documentation button do nothing
>> -The status indicators (on/off label with red/green light) don't work yet
>> -The "Details" panel always contains the Mumble details
>> -Removing services doesn't work yet
>> -No onion address is generated
>> -I plan to display another connection string for the local network if
>> "Allow LAN" is enabled
>>
>> Please test the prototype and provide feedback.
>>

> Hello segfault,
>
> what's the right way to test the prototype? Do we need to be on a Tails
> installation, or can I do it on a regular Debian box?

I develop and test it on Tails. But I just tested it with a Debian
stretch and Debian jessie and it worked without problems. Do you have
GNOME installed? The error message says that it couldn't find the gi
module, which is provided by the debian package python-gi and required
by many GTK applications.

> On a Debian box, I ran the setup.sh script, and then I tried to launch
> tails-server. It failed like this:
>
>     $ tails-server
>     Traceback (most recent call last):
>       File "/usr/bin/tails-server", line 10, in <module>
>         from gi.repository import Gtk
>     ImportError: No module named 'gi'

> Is this something I need to run from inside Tails?
>
> [This is more of an IRC question, but we don't seem to all be in IRC, so here
> you go.]

I'm online on OFTC, but currently not in any channel. I'm not a regular
IRC user and don't know if it's possible to write me if I'm not inside a
channel.

Cheers!