[Tails-dev] gnu.org in "neutral" pool for htpdate

Author: Random User
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] gnu.org in "neutral" pool for htpdate
Hi,

At
https://tails.boum.org/contribute/design/Time_syncing/ ,
you characterize the web servers that are included in the"pal" pool as,
"run by groups that are likely to take great care of their visitors'
privacy."

I would have surely thought that description would apply to a site such
as, "www.gnu.org", from all that I know about the organization behind it
(particularly the renowned Richard M. Stallman, who, whatever else one
may think of him, would appear to be one of the most outspoken and
uncompromising advocates of online privacy).

I was therefore rather surprised to see "www.gnu.org" was not listed in
the "pal" pool but in the "neutral" pool at
https://git-tails.immerda.ch/tails/plain/config/chroot_local-includes/etc/default/htpdate.pools

I wonder if you could explain your rationale for this. I hope you will
not think that I am looking for a fight, as I am honestly just curious
and sincerely interested in hearing what you have to say.

Thank you.

P.S. I am also somewhat curious about the categorization of startpage
and duckduckgo, as well, as only "neutral" and not "pals". Wasn't at
least one of those two acknowledged for their dedication to user privacy
by a third-party that is widely considered credible?