Re: [Occupyresearch] Tea Party/Occupy Comparison

Author: Gan
To: List of the shared space for distributed research occupyresearch
Subject: Re: [Occupyresearch] Tea Party/Occupy Comparison
The two movements are vastly different, and points of contrast are perhaps more important than the similarities.

One point of contrast: the diametrically different reaction by police and federal authorities.

The occupy movement was overwhelmingly non violent, conducting interventions through traditional forms of non violent civil disobedience and the peaceful occupation of public places. They were met with tear gas, beatings, raids and arrest.

The tea party often showed up brazenly to public spaces displaying firearms - even at events in which the president was set to appear - and they were given a wide birth by police. They did not face state violence.

Why? In short, the first challenged elite power structures and the other supported them.