Re: [Tails-testers] Tails 4.22-RC1 Tor Connection dialog iss…

Author: intrigeri
To: Tails list for early testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Tails 4.22-RC1 Tor Connection dialog issues
Hi,

sajolida (2021-09-06):
> alienpup:
>> 2. Dialog persistance: The Connection dialog does not automatically
>> close after the user selects one of the post-connection options
>> ("Start Tor Browser", "View Tor Circuits", etc.). It remains open
>> despite being of little/no use to the user.
>
> Why not!

I can think of a few answers to this non-question :)

As a user I could be surprised that:

- I'm offered several actions, without it being clear that they're
mutually exclusive, and if I take 1 action the other
options disappear.

- Clicking "Start Tor Browser" or "View Tor Circuits" has the side
effect of closing the current window. That's not exactly obvious.

> @FT: What do you think?

I suppose it would be an easy technical change to make. Now, we have
plenty of other rather easy technical changes on our plate, that will
solve issues identified via usability testing.

For me it's more of a UX question. If you're confident the UX benefit
is a net positive, I suppose we can give it a try :)

>> 3. Re-connection dialog: Following a system suspend, sleep or
>> network interruption, this dialog offers the user the "Start Tor
>> Browser" option even while Tor Browser is running. Selecting this
>> option brings up a warning that TB is already running and seconds
>> later, a second TB window.
>
> @FT: What about tracking this glitch on GitLab?

Oops, indeed. This looks like the way we start Tor Browser is not
properly registered by GNOME Shell.

Filed as https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/issues/18576.
I did not put it on the FT radar for now, let's do this if it gets
ranked high enough in terms of cost/benefit.