Re: [Tails-testers] Call for testing 4.22~rc1

Author: intrigeri
To: jb, Tails list for early testers, tails-testers@boum.org
CC: jb
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Call for testing 4.22~rc1
jb via Tails-testers (2021-08-20):

> Thanks. Using Tails on Virtualbox 6.1.26 (Ubuntu Studio 21.04 host) as a container for email and web access. Minimal privacy or security concerns but mainly to minimize malware or trackers (more of a concern when used Windows host).
>
> Confimations:
>
> - The bridges are properly saved to and restored from Persistent
> Storage when the Tor Bridges feature is enabled.

Great, thanks!

> - Tails successfully connects to Tor using bridges when the correct time zone and clock are set from within Tor Connection assistant.
> There isn't an option / button to correct the time zone within the Tor Connection assistant.

You'll only see this button if Tails fails to connect to Tor,
so I suppose you don't need this new feature.

> Issues:
>
> - Browser extension such as Bitwarden does not persist. Have to use a script to restore prefs.js, extensions.json, and extension file from /Dotfiles/.tor-browser/profile.default to /home/amnesia/.tor-browser/profile.default after connecting to bridge. Tor Connection assistant and Tor initializing might be overwriting persist files from the Dotfiles folder during startup. Have to then manually make it visible.
> - Noscript browser extension was visible on the toolbar but does not persist. Have to manually make it visible.
> - Bookmarks persist feature does not work. Have to use a script to restore Bookmarks file from /Dotfiles/.tor-browser/profile.default to /home/amnesia/.tor-browser/profile.default after connecting to bridge. Script should also delete /home/amnesia/.mozilla folder in case of conflicts with items dynamically created in /home/amnesia/.tor-browser folder.
> - Browser bookmarks was visible on the toolbar but does not persist. Have to manually make it visible.
> - Browser Mozilla dark theme does not persist.

It looks like you're trying to make the full Tor Browser profile
persistent. It's not supported, will break stuff (such as the
bookmarks persistence feature), and sooner or later will make your
setup less safe than a regular Tails.

I'll let our UX person triage your features request for additional
persistence features.

> - Time zone setting does not persist.

Indeed. This is tracked on this issue:
https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/issues/12094