Re: [Tails-dev] Proposal: migrate our public chat rooms to a…

Author: nodens
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Proposal: migrate our public chat rooms to another friendly XMPP server (#17956)

Hi,

On 29/06/2021 10:37, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Riseup plans to stop their XMPP service in August 2021. We're using
> that service for a few public chat rooms, most notably "tails-dev" and
> "tails".
>
> Proposal: migrate these 2 chat rooms to another friendly XMPP server.
> We're considering 2 hosting options for now (systemli.org and
> esiliati.org). Hosting suggestions are welcome, in case none of these
> 2 options works out.
>
> boyska and I have been looking into this problem space: our needs and
> options. A few other people have participated in discussions on this
> topic in various places (one could say that instant messaging is a hot
> topic these days). Thanks!
>
> Here's a summary:
> https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/blueprints/-/wikis/Migrate_from_xmpp.riseup.net/
>
> I'd like to hear your thoughts about this topic by July 11.
>
> Before you comment, please read the kind-of-FAQ that follows.
> Thanks in advance!

While I'm not a big fan of XMPP (and especially XMPP clients), I agree
with the reasoning that finding an alternative that works for our use
case and migrating to it isn't a sound option given the time constraints.

So if we want to keep a public chatroom, I agree we should migrate to
another friendly XMPP server.

On the other hand, I barely connect to our public XMPP at all since we
don't do the monthly meeting anymore, and I wouldn't personnaly mind
dropping public chat completely.

nodens