Re: [Tails-l10n] Activating Chinese (Taiwan) on our website

Author: MDrights
To: tails-l10n
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Activating Chinese (Taiwan) on our website

> I only know a little bit about Simplified Chinese vs. Traditional
> Chinese from what I learned from folks in Taiwan. So I'll clarify a few
> things first to make sure that I'm not totally confused :)

> By "zh_TW" (as on Weblate), which I called "Chinese (Taiwan)",
> I understand that we're talking about Traditional Chinese, which you
> called zh-hant.

Oh, sorry for letting you be confused :)
Indeed Traditional Chinese = zh-hant = zh_TW + zh_HK ;
Simplified CHinese = zh-hans = zh_CN.
We sometimes mix these terms while formally I think I should use zh_TW,
zh_HK and zh_CN (some sorts of Int'l standard?). However these formal
terms are considered/critised by some people as this makes languages
nationalised (and politisized).
So as in the computer world (as well as on Weblate, Transifex) the
'zh_TW'-like term is widely used, we can continue using such terms.

>I understand that so far you were mostly contributing to "zh" but that
> you could also:

> - Review "zh_TW"
> - Translate or correspond "zh_TW" into "zh"
> - But not necessarily translate more into English into "zh_TW"

> Did I understand correctly until now?

Yes, you are totally right. :P

>Indeed it would be awesome to be able to count on you to review "zh_TW"
> as well as "zh"!

Thank you so much.

> These numbers will go down quite soon as we'll release a new Home and
> About page in May and rework other core pages in depth.
>
> My main concern right now is that there doesn't seem to be any active
> translators work on "zh_TW". We might activate "zh_TW" on the website
> now but that it might not see new translations and die out again soon
> unless we get more active translators.

Oh, I didn't know about this until now.

>- @MDrights: Do you think that you could help with getting more active
> translators for "zh_TW"?

I am afraid I am not able to get more translators for zh_TW or zh_CN. I
am based at China (zh_CN), the place where most people have difficulty
using Tails at the first place so they might not be interested. I also
have little human resources for Taiwan, TBH.

yep, it needs time and energy to get new friends onboard. My current
idea (and a short term plan) is that I would continue jxtsai's work (so as to value his previous work and achieve a sort of milestone). As for the new Home and About page (and other new content), I would not hurry but see if there are more active translators in the future then begin the new translation.

I am also in Localisation Lab's l10n community (on IFF's Mattermost).
There are a few active zh_CN and zh_TW translators there. Could we
connect to them, and/or make the Tails l10n project visible at LocLab?
(I assume there might be some reasons that why Tails l10n is not
included in LocLab's Transifex?)

> I have added reviewer rights to mdrights on the platform.

Hi emma, thanks for adding me.

Cheers