Re: [Tails-l10n] Activating Chinese (Taiwan) on our website

Author: sajolida
To: tails-l10n
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Activating Chinese (Taiwan) on our website
Linus Yeung:
> sajolida:
>>> I think that we should activate Chinese (Taiwan) on our website since it
>>> reached 33% of core pages.
>
>> After 1.5 months without sign of life from the Chinese translators that
>> I could identify and send an email to, I'm giving up on this idea.
>
> Hi, I am MDrights, the translator of Chinese (Simp.). Under this circumstances, may I propose that me to be his peer reviewer on zh-hant, since zh-hans is mutual-readable with zh-hant.
>
> If my memory is correct, I remembered Tails-l10n team endorsed me and
> jxtsai to be a team for translating Chinese (both zh-hant and zh-hans).
> And in fact we indeed collaborated with each other's repo:
>
> https://gitlab.com/mdrights/tails
> https://github.com/twngo/Tails-zh_TW
>
> If this is okay, I could: 1. review jxtsai's work on weblate; 2.
> correspond zh-hans from jxtsai's zh-hant strings.

Hi MDrights, thanks a lot for jumping back in this conversation :)

I only know a little bit about Simplified Chinese vs. Traditional
Chinese from what I learned from folks in Taiwan. So I'll clarify a few
things first to make sure that I'm not totally confused :)

By "zh_TW" (as on Weblate), which I called "Chinese (Taiwan)",
I understand that we're talking about Traditional Chinese, which you
called zh-hant.

I understand that so far you were mostly contributing to "zh" but that
you could also:

- Review "zh_TW"
- Translate or correspond "zh_TW" into "zh"
- But not necessarily translate more into English into "zh_TW"

Did I understand correctly until now?

Indeed it would be awesome to be able to count on you to review "zh_TW"
as well as "zh"!

For record, we are now at:

- zh_TW: 28% (427) strings translated, 12% strings fuzzy
- zh: 14% (225) strings translated, 6% strings fuzzy

These numbers will go down quite soon as we'll release a new Home and
About page in May and rework other core pages in depth.

My main concern right now is that there doesn't seem to be any active
translators work on "zh_TW". We might activate "zh_TW" on the website
now but that it might not see new translations and die out again soon
unless we get more active translators.

But activating "zh_TW" on the website might also be a very good
incentive to get new people to translate :)

So I'm wondering about several things right now:

- @Zen + @emmapeel: Do you think that Weblate is in a good shape to
welcome a bunch of new translators for "zh_TW" if we make some
publicity around it? Or would it be better to wait some more months?

- @MDrights: Do you think that you could help with getting more active
translators for "zh_TW"?

- If we get new translators for "zh_TW", who would be ready to spend
some time onboarding them and getting them up-to-speed?

- Any other idea on how to get more active "zh_TW" translators? Maybe
asking help from the Localization Lab?

I could help trying to get new translators but contacting my friends in
Taiwan and announcing it on Twitter but I don't have the skills and time
to onboard them on Weblate.

Another option would be to try to get some new translators right now
with clear plans of activating "zh_TW" only if we manage to build an
active team and, for example, get them to translate the new Home and
About page at least before activation.

What do you all think?

--
sajolida