Re: [Tails-project] Blog post: "Celebrating 10 years of Tail…

Author: sajolida
Subject: Re: [Tails-project] Blog post: "Celebrating 10 years of Tails!"
u:
> On 25.11.19 18:26, sajolida wrote:
>>> - under our mentoring in 2011 → "with our mentoring"
>>
>> I think that "under our mentoring" is more correct:
>>
>> https://ludwig.guru/s/under+the+mentoring
>> https://ludwig.guru/s/with+the+mentoring
>
> They have both the same amount of matches, no?
>
> I like "with" because it makes it clear that it's also a collaboration,
> and it sounds less patronizing.

I didn't meant to point to the number of matches but at how each of
these prepositions are used in these expressions. The matches with
"with" are not, strictly speaking, used to expressed who is the mentor
while the matches with "under" clearly are.

Anyway, I changed it to "with our help in 2011". If the problem is that
you find the current phrasing patronizing, then we should probably get
rid of the idea of mentoring in itself.

>>> - freedom fighters → I have a bit of an issue with this term.
>>
>> I copied it from /contribute/mission where I thought that people would
>> have more problems with "human-rights defenders". I'm personally fine
>> with both.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistance_movement#Freedom_fighter says
> "Generally speaking, freedom fighters are people who use physical force
> to cause a change in the political and or social order. [...] a person
> who is campaigning for freedom through peaceful means may still be
> classed as a freedom fighter, though in common usage they are called
> political activists [...]".
>
> I also relate the word to people calling themselves freedom fighter but
> actually being part of (proto) fascistic militias of all possible sorts.
>
> Interesting that this word did not disturb me when you presented the
> mission.
>
> I see myself better represented in "human-rights defender" or
> "political activist".

I escalated your concern to propose a patch to "Mission and values".
See my other email on this same list.

Meanwhile, I changed it to "human-rights defenders" in this blog post as
we might not reach an agreement in time and we already use "human-rights
defenders" on /donate which has roughly the same audience.

--
sajolida
Tails — https://tails.boum.org/