Re: [Tails-testers] Opinion about Tails 4.0beta1

Author: sajolida
To: Tails list for early testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Opinion about Tails 4.0beta1
Michael Gerstacker via Tails-testers:
> Hi,
>
> i tried Tails 4.0beta1 on my Dell Inspiron 5559 and i noticed some things.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for taking the time to test 4.0~beta1 and report your findings!

> After the Tails Greeter it takes about 25 seconds to show the desktop.
> With 3.15 it was only about 10 seconds.

I also complained about this in:

https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/issues/16805

Thanks to your report, I thought about a possible solution in note #3 :)

> The drop-down menu with the applications seems smaller but more full.

Note that I'm using Tails in English so it might be different for me.

The menu in 4.0~beta1 is indeed a bit smaller because we removed the
"Science" submenu. See screenshots in attachments.

> For example i need to scroll down to see everything listed under
> "Hilfsprogramme".

Good catch! Some apps have moved from other submenus into "Utilities".

I reported this issue and proposed a solution in:

https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/issues/16981

> And some applications are there more than once. For example "Terminal".

This was already the case in the 3.x series:

- The applications in the "Favorites" submenus are duplicated on
purpose.

- Some custom applications ("Configure persistent volume") are
duplicated because of a bug (though it can't find it anymore).

> Maybe consider to remove the "Favorites" section because the user can
> not configure that section by himself and it makes the whole drop-down
> menu even more full.

We put in "Favorites" the applications that we believe are the most
frequently used because we want to provide shortcuts to them.

> I normally am a Windows user so i was pretty confused after realizing
> that the right-click isnt working anymore. I like the new way to do a
> right click but i think you should point that out in your release notes
> or somewhere else because i needed to google it. I think there are more
> users like me who normally use Windows and maybe feel helpless then.

On my computer, the right-click works as usual in 4.0~beta1 so I need
more info from you to understand what happens. What changed exactly?
What do you mean by "the new way to do a right-click"?

> When i choose "Configure persistent volume", then select "Additional
> software", then click on the gearwheel to open the window to configure
> my additional software and in the provided window then click on the blue
> "Synaptic Package Manager" then nothing happens. The link to "APT on the
> command line" is not working too.

Good catch! I reported this problem:

https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/issues/16982

> Some of the settings in Onionshare are not working but i can see that
> there are anyway a few tickets open about Onionshare.

Which settings more specifically?

> The bug with the Onion circuits not shown in Tor Browser anymore on new
> websites after Standby when Tor Browser was open during the Standby
> which i reported a few months ago is still there too. I was told that
> you can not reproduce it so i sent an explanation how to reproduce it
> but didnt got an answer.

I don't work on our help desk so I'm afraid I didn't see your report.
But I don't mind trying to understand your problem here again.

I'm not sure to understand what you mean by "when Tor Browser was open
during the Standby"?

By "Standy" do you mean when the computer is suspend?

See
https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/introduction_to_gnome_and_the_tails_desktop/#index5h3

Interesting! @intrigeri: Can you have a look at this one?

> The upgrade process anyway should be more fool-proof but there are
> tickets for it already.

Yeah... We're aware that upgrades are still one of the most painful
aspects of Tails. The good news is that we'll start working on
improvements late 2019 and early 2020 thanks to a grant by Mozilla.

But unfortunately it won't solve all the issues on upgrades yet :(

> Apart of that i think i like Tails Buster because it feels and looks a
> little bit more smoother.

Oh! That's very nice to hear :)

--
sajolida