Re: [Tails-dev] Testing with openqa?

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Testing with openqa?
hi,

anonym wrote (05 Oct 2015 15:33:55 GMT) :
> On 09/15/2015 11:03 AM, intrigeri wrote:
>> I've had a look during DebConf, and indeed the web interface for
>> developers is much better than what Jenkins will give us as-is.
>> Perhaps at some point we'll need $something that extracts data from
>> Jenkins and presents it to developers, and at that point it may be
>> worth looking into OpenQA.

> I'm unsure what the "$something that extracts data from Jenkins and
> presents it to developers" part refers to.

I meant that some day, we might want to give Tails contributors
something more usable than the Jenkins web UI, as their primary
interface to our automated QA systems. But nowadays most contributors
don't even have access to our Jenkins' web UI, so we're not exactly
there yet.

> If it refers to Alan's "it has a nice web interface to update
> screenshots", then [...]

JFTR: I wasn't referring to that, and I agree it's not useful to us.

>> Note that tests are written directly in Perl, with no overlay language
>> like Gherkin. Not as if we were taking much benefit from Gherkin for
>> {intra,inter}-team communication yet, but I like it that we're able to;
>> and I intend to try to use Gherkin more in the future when discussing
>> changes with UX folks.

> I personally like the clarity of what is (well, *should be*) going on
> that they provide to me, as a developer, even without the "easier
> communication with non-developers" part.

Me too, but as you're suggesting this is quite theoretical currently,
e.g. given the diversity of abstraction levels we use in there.