Re: [Tails-l10n] Pootle

Autor: sajolida
Para: Tails localization discussion
Asunto: Re: [Tails-l10n] Pootle
intrigeri:
> I know that quite some effort was put into Weblate already, but in the
> end it seems that it's more complicated to integrate into our workflow
> than what we once believed. So I thought I would mention here that
> a friend of mine recently asked me why we are not using Pootle [1].
> I'm told it's a more mature solution than Weblate. We quickly went
> through our specification [2] and apparently it's good for almost all
> MUST:s, and many of our SHOULD:s.

I remember trying Pootle in the past :)

> Only one MUST is maybe not supported yet: "make it easy to view the
> translations in context i.e. when translating an entire page, all
> strings to be translated should only come from this page.
> translators should be able to view the page in context"; we didn't
> spend any time seeing if this could be tweaked though (just looked at
> the default configuration on an existing Pootle instance), and last
> time I checked, Weblate had some limitations in this area too.
>
> So perhaps it would be sound to check if the current problems we have
> with Weblate would be solved by Pootle in a better way. I'm sure
> I lack the big picture, so really this is just for what it's worth :)

Whenever I want to get back the big picture of what's blocking us
regarding the translation interface I refer to #10257#note-16.
The bad news is that there's stuff in there for the translation platform
but for the PO plugin as well (maybe). This relates for example to new
team working on languages that are not yet activated through the
platform (which I think is a MUST).

Maybe I should complete the requirements on the blueprint to make explicit:

  * MUST automatic pull and merge from the main Git repo (new strings,
    fuzzy  strings, translations done through Git directly, etc.).
  * MUST allow new teams to translate the website before their language
    is activated on the production website.
  * SHOULD only commit translations that have been reviewed.

u: Tell me if I should update this in the list of requirements.

intrigeri: Tell me if you want me to raise the issues related to the PO
plugin elsewhere. I don't mind writing starting a thread about this only.