Re: [Tails-dev] Migrate Tail's browser AdBlock Plus to uBloc…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Migrate Tail's browser AdBlock Plus to uBlock Origin
Hi,

random_user@??? wrote (31 Jan 2016 20:11:50 GMT) :
> What does seem quite clear to me, however (and has ever since I first
> became aware of this matter) is that the best interests of at least an
> overwhelming majority of Tor Browser and Tails users would best be
> served by having the fingerprints of the Tor Browser in Tails and the
> stand-alone Tor Browser be as indistinguishable from each other as
> possible. After all, the reality is that the total number of Tor Browser
> users (stand-alone as well as Tails) already comprise but a mere
> fraction of total Internet users. Does it really make sense to splinter
> such a small minority into even smaller sub-divisions? And to do so for
> something as /relatively/ trivial and even petty as not being able to
> reach a consensus over whether to include an ad-blocker (or which
> ad-blocker to include)? Isn't this self-defeating behavior?

FYI:

After a quite long and moderately pleasurable discussion on this
topic, that happened over 2014-2015 on this very mailing-list
(subject: "AdBlock Plus in Tails' Tor Browser"), we decided to keep
AdBlock Plus. The point you're making here was taken into account.
I doubt anyone involved in the previous discussion will fancy diving
into it again.