Re: [Tails-testers] Call for testing new tools and instructi…

Autor: Jannis Wiese
Para: Tails list for early testers
Asunto: Re: [Tails-testers] Call for testing new tools and instructions to get started with Tails
Hi guys,

awesome, well done!

> On 23.12.2015, at 16:07, sajolida <sajolida@???> wrote:
>
> We are aware that the process of getting started with Tails
> (downloading, verifying, installing, starting, and configuring) might be
> the main stumbling block for its wider adoption.
>
> Over 2015, we have worked very hard to make this process easier and
> today we are happy to release a first beta version of the new process.
>
> We worked on:
>
> 1. A Firefox add-on to automate the verification of the ISO image,
> written by Giorgio Maone, the author of NoScript.

Works like a charm in Firefox 42.0 on Mac OS X 10.11.2!

> 2. The inclusion of Tails Installer directly in Ubuntu (and Debian
> really soon), to avoid burning a DVD, using two USB sticks, or going
> through the command line.
>
> 3. New instructions on the website to present the process
> step-by-step, according to your operating systems, skills, and
> available hardware.

Very nice! A few layout problems (the green underlines are a bit high and the Tails title bar is not shown entirely), but most of the rest is very smooth.
Following the process, I found two issues:
- Using an unsupported browser first (Safari), I ended up at the download of the image. If the URL I’m supposed to copy in Firefox or Tor Browser would lead me back to that site, I imagine the process to be a bit smoother (for download and especially verification).
- The part “&& sync” does not work on Mac OS X (at least not for me), so maybe you should delete that.

> We would love to have many diverse people test it and tell us what
> they think. For example, if you tried to install or verify Tails in
> the past but failed, your feedback will be much appreciated!
>
> It would be most helpful to point out:
>
>  - Technical problems. If you think that something technical failed
>    during the process, try to describe in details what you were
>    trying to do and how it failed.
>  - Usability problems. If you fail to understand something, point us
>    to the part that is unclear; if you get a result different from
>    what you expected, tell us what surprised you in a bad way.
>    Please don't report problems that you think other people might
>    face, unless you are a usability expert :)
>  - Victories. For example, tell us if you found this super cool or
>    if it helped you install Tails for the first time!

> /!\ We know this beta version is not perfect. We still have many
>    details to improve but we wanted to give you all an opportunity to
>    try it out before it replaces the current documentation on the
>    website.

> If you're ready to give it a try, visit:
>
>    https://tails.boum.org/install/

> Please send your feedback to tails-testers@???.

Again, an awesome job, thanks!

Merry christmas to all of you!