[Tails-ux] Greeter revamp: prototype time?

Autor: Spencer
Para: tails-ux
Asunto: [Tails-ux] Greeter revamp: prototype time?
Hey,

> Lunar:
> On a technical level, it might be best to leave the actual network
> configuration after the session is loaded (so we are done with the
> greeter). That's because if the users want to have guarantee they are
> offline, we can enforce this quite strongly at the kernel level.
>
> I also think that disabling automatic network probes—for people who
> needs to hide that they are using Tor as much as possible—should be
> done
> at the greeter. Because in the default case, we want to configure as
> much as possible automatically. If a network cable is plugged on the
> computer, negotiating an IP address and starting Tor should happen
> without user intervention. And this would happen just after the “Start
> Tails” button in the greeter.

Cool, 'Off' as a network option at the Greeter supports this :)

>> Spencer:
>> If we are to support saving multiple setting configurations, what are
>> the
>> security issues, if any?
>>

> Could you be more specific? Are you talking about my proposal to
> record settings that were made for a given network?

Yeah; I left "network" out :\

> Network configuration currently goes after the greeter as we are
> designing it. Ideally, it would be improved by having something more
> guided and integrated (see the other thread about this) but it was
> still
> thought as a separate step.

Yeah, I am working through the flow as it pertains to the Guided
Configuration experience, so we might see some more confluence, IDK.

>> Qubes-whonix
>>

> They have the same problem than Tails here (and also the Tor Browser
> for
> what it's worth): how do you make things as automatic as they can be
> for
> people who can afford it while not harming those who need to be extra
> cautious?

Yes, as default settings go, this is quite a dilemma. Educational
interfaces help with the managing but not so much with the planning.

Most projects target the masses or one/both of the spectrum ends but
these all suffer from having to design for the entire spectrum;
experiential ergonomics.

Wordlife,
Spencer