[Tails-ux] Greeter mockups

Autor: spencerone
Para: tails-ux
Asunto: [Tails-ux] Greeter mockups
Hey,

In general, email is slow; we have a 12hr turnaround due to preferred
work times and geographic location, this is especially complicating for
certain designations. However, although Agile is broken, a better
platform is needed. (remote work environments are in big demand because
none are good enough yet for the craziness of collaborative creativity)
Apple, Microsoft, IDEO, they all struggle with this.

Loops are good, as they are the inevitable reality of our fractal
existence. Endless, too, they are, as every designation will need
improvement due the ever-changing contexts of our world. I often use
"resolution" not as a simile of solution, which it often is, but as a
way of acknowledging that all efforts *will* redone by others in the
future and that our *best* designations are transient.

There is no such thing as objectivity, though examples are always
welcome :) However, the process in which we are employing is logic
based, meaning that each personal preference has solid functional
benefit that preserves time, effort, energy, and so on.

Testing can be done using a clickable .pdf and achieve both the swift
deployment of paper testing and the effective functionality and scaling
of a programmed prototype. I can do this if needed, or work with
whomever is interested (has time).

>>> sajolida:
>>> I'll try to compile this.
>>>

>> Actually I won't do that. I started compiling the different arguments
>> that were developed in this thread but honestly, this would be tons of
>> work that would lead to tons more debates.
>>

> intrigeri:
> Sounds like a reasonable move to me. Thanks for making it clear.

Quite. Leave this up to me, G. The blueprint is great for sharing our
work with the world. However, it doesn't provide the to-the-point
summaries those of you who have very little additional time would
prefer.

The to-the-point summary might most appropriately take the heuristic
approach and establish a list of requirements/constraints and weigh the
two most recent Greeter options against them.

Such as:
- One-click access (to many things)
- Language can be set first
- and so on...

If explicitly requested I will sift through everything, which is in the
current Greeter Rationale for those who are willing to read through it,
and assemble this list and review it with Alan.

In the meantime, since there is a disagreement in the direction, I do
feel like we have some resolution here[0], should anyone be curious.

>> Still, I would be interested in testing stuff
>> with some of you in November if we can get together.
>>

> So, next step is that those who have more time available to put into
> the Greeter thing team up and finish prototypes (be it on paper or
> actual code) that can be tested with users, right?
>
> In passing: it would be good to get a panel for testing that's built
> from existing users *and* first time users. For the Greeter in
> particular, it feels critical to me to provide *both* a good UX for
> 1st time users, *and* something efficient for existing ones.

Yep :) Is there existing documentation on our users? Maybe user
profiles or something of the like?

Wordlife,
Spencer

[0]: https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-ux/2015-August/000568.html