Re: [Freepto] Freepto Meeting _ 20150505

Author: boyska
To: freepto
Subject: Re: [Freepto] Freepto Meeting _ 20150505
On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 08:51:16AM +0000, u wrote:
>intrigeri:
>> boyska wrote (06 May 2015 16:18:52 GMT) :
>>> By the way, do you have good resources to link about how to get
>>> comfortable with debian packagement? I know there is plenty of it but...
>>> that's exactly the problem! :)
>>
>I found it much easier to read the new maintainer guide first:
>https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/.

seems a great reading. I have now read most of it (still without real
experimenting, though) and it seems to me very well written. Thanks for
sharing!

>> I don't remember if it mentions pbuilder/sbuild, though. Using one of
>> those is a must. I'm personally using pbuilder, but if I had to learn
>> from scratch today, with the background I now have I would probably
>> pick sbuild.
>
>I also use pbuilder, for the sole reason that i did not know about
>sbuild. Ubuntu has a very good documentation on this tool:

It seems that you both put lot of importance in which tool to use to
build packages. I used to suppose that they were "functionally
equivalent" and just differed in security mechanisms, isolation, and
other surely interesting things, but not exactly needed to get started.

What's your opinion on this?

>Imho the most important thing is to have a good building setup - that's
>half the work.

So should I _first_ concentrate on learning sbuild, and just later
learning how to create a package myself?

--
boyska