Re: [Tails-dev] Tails usability feedback?

Autor: Jacob Appelbaum
Para: intrigeri
CC: tails-dev
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails usability feedback?
Heya intrigeri,

There are a few key issues - one is the difficulty of installing
Tails, the next is the difficulting of upgrading it (pre-incremental
updates; though that is broken for me on one machine), and the finally
- the actual use of Tails is another story.

I'm not sure how to best list out my thoughts on the topic. On the one
hand, I think it should be clear, I use Tails everyday for nearly
everything. On the other hand, there are little details where I've
adapted and so, my working routine is strange, perhaps not even the
target audience.

As an example, I use extra software in a Persistent drive - stuff like
Pond and xmpp-client. That is why I'm working on packaging it. I also
use a laptop which requires some extra stuff at each boot to keep X
functioning properly. All of that requires a specific environment and
that requires a setup. That kind of configuration is not hard but
requires some basic hoop jumping.

My biggest complaint is that the unsafe-browser is slow to launch and
sometimes Tor won't start or stop properly on captive portals. Also,
various other security related concerns (dhclient, lack of grsec, etc)
that cause me to do other hacky things.

Overall, I feel like the quirks are mostly old Gnome quirks that have
to do with a few things being very automated, but not all of them and
when they go wrong, everything is messed up (like Vidalia crashing at
some point).

All the best,
Jake