Re: [Tails-dev] More things around the same «persistent vol…

Autor: intrigeri
Para: Unu
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] More things around the same «persistent volume»
Hi,

first, I strongly recommend you read
https://tails.boum.org/contribute/faq/. It should help you focus your
energy on reporting new ideas... or implementing them :)

Unu wrote (03 Jun 2013 21:56:29 GMT) :
> # KeePassX, Gedit customizations

> I configured KeePassX and Gedit. Next time they are back to the
> defaults. I have checked everything I could for the persistent volume.

Indeed, there are no persistent presets for such customization.

Perhaps our documentation could be improved to make this clearer.
Reading our "Manage passwords with KeePassX" doc [1] again, I find it
makes it very clear only the "password database" is going to persist.
Please point us to what made you believe it would be different, so
that have a chance to improve this page :)

[1] https://tails.boum.org/doc/encryption_and_privacy/manage_passwords/

> # Keyboard settings

> Keyboard gets set on the welcome screen. Only that I run something more
> like a system on a stick. I want to help it remember the keyboard which
> would help with the password as well.

Already on our todo list, although not very easy to find, admitedly:
https://tails.boum.org/todo/allow_choosing_language_at_installation_time/

> Also, I usually use an enhanced keyboard. The same 105 hardware keys,
> but more combinations leading to more printed signs. Can I put
> it somewhere on the persistent storage and make Tails load that up at
> startup?

Probably, using some combination of xmodmap, custom persistent
directories, etc. But this is not supported per-se, so I'm afraid
you'll have to learn how the tools work on your own.

See https://tails.boum.org/todo/persistence:_support_DVD/.

https://tails.boum.org/todo/Clone_or_Backup_Persistent_Volume/

> # Strange event

> Day one: everything was smooth.
> Day two: Tails was freezing. A couple of random times at the first
> choice in the GUI, the one with setting up a root pass. But almost
> every time when trying to connect to the Wifi box. As long as I would
> not try to connect it would freeze a few times, but not all the time. I
> even tried with another Wifi card, USB, plugged in. I removed from
> seahorse the password. It would freeze at the time of entering the Wifi
> password. At night it stopped happening. No logical explanation. And I
> don't believe in UFOs.

> Only thing I could link was a suspended on disk Windows session. After
> restarting windows and shutting down clean Tails was working well. But
> on Day one I am not sure, but I assume Windows was suspended.

> I know you can't fix it unless it's a common problem. But what do I do
> to come up with relevant information for you to fix next time it
> happens, if ever?

Please follow https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/bug_reporting/ so
that we can possibly help, thanks :)