[Tails-dev] better IRC client, include XChat

Autor: adrelanos
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: [Tails-dev] better IRC client, include XChat
Hi!

I have given up on this thread already. Just out of curiosity.

intrigeri:
> adrelanos wrote (17 May 2013 19:37:18 GMT) :
>
>> Need to correct that one: "There are more users using XChat for
>> IRC than using Pidgin's IRC

Plugin."

> Would you please be kind enough to support such claims with some
> kind of source data or something in an appropriate thread?

Originally, I didn't want to search for references or doing original
research. Writing it down, so others can reproduce it, costs a lot
time to no (I expect) avail.

Anyway, because you kindly asked and helped a lot times and generally
do lots of useful work...

Doing this research strictly over Tor is difficult, since many big IRC
networks ban Tor. Not doing it over Tor may be much easier.

Go to some big IRC network. You can find big networks and channels on
http://searchirc.com. Either join some channel with without mode +C
set. To check: /mode #channel

Or send everyone in the list "/ctcp nickname version" one by one,
however, the latter may be considered spam/offense/etc., imho a luxury
problem. Doing it in channels with +C not set is imho ok, it's their
fault not setting +C, so they risk being part of a research, and, ctcp
is really a part of the protocol, not a hack.

/ctcp #channel version

Example:

(not trying to be complete, not quality of a serious study)

irc.gamesurge.net
#quakecon
/ctcp #quakecon version

66 users total. In more details:

2x Purple IRC (Pidgin)
9x XChat
1x X-Chat Aqua
31x mIRC
7x irssi
2x KVIrc
and others

Another example:

irc.gamesurge.net
#dayz
/ctcp #dayz version

101 users total. In more details:

14x XChat
1x X-Chat Aqua
1x Purple IRC (Pidgin)
40x mIRC
2x KVIrc
17x irssi
and others

Sure, to make this a serious study in paper quality, a lot more
networks and channels would have to be checked at different times,
while not counting users/hosts twice and so forth.

Cheers,
adrelanos