Re: [Tails-dev] Please review & merge bugfix/less-aggressive…

Autor: intrigeri
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review & merge bugfix/less-aggressive-hard-disk-APM-on-AC
Hi,

Maxim Kammerer wrote (02 Mar 2013 16:45:27 GMT) :
> Don't use 127,

Actually, the information that I omitted to include in my pull request
was that a Debian Wheezy laptop has the same settings as the ones I'm
proposing: 127 on battery, 254 on AC. If these settings were seriously
wrong, I guess we would have seen quite a lot of bug reports in Debian
during the Wheezy development cycle. Given we have not, I'm quite
confident these settings are good enough... until I'm shown why this
is wrong, which Maxim is apparently willing to do.

> see commit 4686bd8a in Liberté's git.

I guess you're talking of this part of the commit:

> +# NOTE: many laptop drives support only values 1, 128, 254, 255,
> +#       with 1 resulting in immediate spindown after each access

... that apparently explains why you moved away from using 127 on AC
power and 1 on battery.

So I guess what you are meaning is that we should not use 127 because
some drives don't support it, right?

What happens when one tries to set mode 127 on a drive that does not
support it?

Maxim Kammerer wrote (02 Mar 2013 16:53:45 GMT) :
> Having 254 for everyone on AC is unreasonable, in my opinion.

I concur with Alan: would you please share some insight about why this
is unreasonable?