Re: [Tails-dev] Tails version and need for upgrade [Was: Tra…

Autor: sajolida
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails version and need for upgrade [Was: Training Journalists in Istanbul]
On 25/02/13 19:57, Runa A. Sandvik wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 5:02 PM, intrigeri <intrigeri@???> wrote:
>> Hi,
>
> Hi,
>
>> Runa A. Sandvik wrote (04 Feb 2013 15:12:51 GMT) :
>>> - One user waited for the Tails website to load, saw the green
>>> download button and then asked if he needed to upgrade to a newer
>>> version.
>>
>> Ah, interesting. We could perhaps hide the big download button on the
>> web page used as the browser homepage. What do you all think?
>
> But the big download button is useful when visiting the website to
> download Tails...

I'm sure we could hide it only on the news page. Shall I give it a try?
I could add that to the branch feature/are_you_using_tor_link that adds
a link to check.torproject.org only on the news page.

That deviates a bit the topic of the branch but fits in a similar set of
improvements to adjust to the new homepage.

>>> I wonder if there is a way to let users know which version
>>> they are currently using.
>>
>> The short answer is: they don't need to know, Tails will tell them
>> when they have to upgrade, and our bug reporting software will include
>> this information in the bug reports. But I'm obviously cheating :)
>
> They don't need to know, but having an easy way to find the version
> number would still be very useful (and I bet it would be useful for
> non-WhisperBack support requests too).
>
>> Perhaps we could add a "About Tails" launcher in the "System" menu,
>> just bellow (or instead of) the "About GNOME" one?
>
> I like this idea.

Me too.