Re: [Tails-dev] disabling default Pidgin profiles? [Was: Tra…

Autor: intrigeri
Para: Runa A. Sandvik, tails-dev
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] disabling default Pidgin profiles? [Was: Training Journalists in Istanbul]
Hi,

Runa A. Sandvik wrote (04 Feb 2013 15:12:51 GMT) :
> - A few users seemed confused when Pidgin automatically connected to
> IRC.

Interesting. Any idea if these confused users had any previous
experience with IM (like: knowing that the first thing you generally
have to do is setup an account), and maybe with IRC in particular?

> I wonder if it would be better to have that disabled by default,
> and instead take users through the process of setting up their own
> accounts.

I'm personally a bit torn on that one.

On the one hand, I think it should be kept as straightforward as
possible to boot Tails, start Pidgin, and go get some support on IRC,
so I'm wary of any additional required steps.

On the other hand, I understand there's some potential for confusion,
and I find it tempting to disable the auto-generated profiles by
default and document how to enable them or create one's own account.

Any other opinions?

FWIW, here's our ticket about improving Pidgin doc:
https://tails.boum.org/todo/better_pidgin_and_otr_documentation/