[Tails-dev] Updating Torbutton for 0.17?

Autor: intrigeri
Para: tails-dev
Asunto: [Tails-dev] Updating Torbutton for 0.17?
Hi,

as the Tails 0.17 release manager, I need to make a quick decision on
an important topic, so I'm hereby asking for fast feedback from you.

(pasting a part of todo/Torbutton_1.5)

Not-released-yet Torbutton 1.5 code has been merged in their master
branch. Preliminary snasphots can be downloaded from
https://people.torproject.org/~mikeperry/>.

Our current `devel` and `testing` branches install a month old
snapshot of Torbutton (1.5.0~pre-alpha-1).

In the meanwhile, Torbutton and TBB have changed quite a lot they way
they handle Firefox preferences. When we want to install a newer
1.5~pre Torbutton, then we have to update quite a lot of how we
configure Iceweasel in Tails:

* We have to disable the Browser-based update notification
([[!tor_bug 7495]] and [[!tor_bug 6156]])
* We have to migrate to the new Torbutton simplified prefs
([[!tor_bug 3100]])
* We perhaps have to fight with Torbutton about the homepage.
* We perhaps have to migrate the way we configure Iceweasel to
TBB's new shiny way (`#tor.js` and `extension-overrides.js`).

On the other hand, it does not look like any of the changes after
1.5.0pre (19fb6d91c..dbe7b143e) actually fix or improve any protection
offered by Torbutton to Tails users, so it does not look critical to
upgrade in a hurry this late in the 0.17 release cycle. I'd be happy
to see someone double-check.

So, I'm very tempted *not* to update Torbutton anymore for 0.17.

If we go this way, we still would have to make sure our Iceweasel
prefs are far away from the new TBB's ones, and possibly patch them at
the last minute, though, due to the tight Mozilla / TBB / Tails
release schedule. We'll know more in one or two days, once TBB based
on FF17 is actually released.

What do you think?