Re: [Tails-dev] packaging tails_htp -> sdwdate

Autor: intrigeri
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] packaging tails_htp -> sdwdate
Hi,

adrelanos wrote (13 Feb 2013 16:35:10 GMT) :
> Is it required to have a separate Debian and upstream branch?

No, but it's good practice in that it forces you to separate what
belongs to upstream development / upstream releases, and what belongs
to distro-specific packaging. I strongly recommend against even trying
to maintain such a thing sanely in a single branch, especially for
a beginner at Debian package maintenance. Having separate branches
will prevent you from doing a bunch of mistakes.

Also, please don't make this a native Debian package. Native packages
are a pain for Debian derivatives, such as... Whonix and Tails :)

> Is there documentation about this "upstream = packager" situation?

None that I know about. In my experience, the documentation, best
practices and workflow for the general case work perfectly fine for
this special case, so I don't find it surprising at all.

Those two roles (upstream maintainer, Debian maintainer) are really
about different kinds of work, different goals, different public, so
it's pretty sane IMHO to technically act as if they were held by
different people, even when they're not. Also, it makes it easy to
change the one or the other to another person or team in the future.