Re: [Tails-dev] Off-topic section in forum

Autor: intrigeri
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] Off-topic section in forum
Hi,

Alessandro Grassi wrote (28 Jan 2013 21:57:11 GMT) :
> But IMHO, saying "please go talk somewhere else" may mistakenly sound
> like "we don't like newbies here" to them, and maybe discourage them
> from using Tails.

Thanks a lot for raising this!

I acknowledge this is a problem, and I'd very much like to have a fine
place to redirect people to: saying "hey, there's a better place to
discuss this, there it is: XYZ" sounds much nicer to me than the "this
is not the right place, please go find a better one" we've been doing.

I think there are two main kinds of off-topic threads on the Tails
forum:

a. General discussion about Tor.
I think this will be solved by the upcoming Q&A Tor website that
should open pretty soon [1]. If we end up using it for Tails too
(with a dedicated tag and enough credentials to do our job
properly -- still waiting for answers from TTP on this), moving
such questions to the right place will simply be a matter of
removing the "Tails" tag. Actually, if this website is effectively
shared, I think this category may simply disappear, and to the
contrary, Tor folks may often have to *add* the "Tails" tag to
questions that lack it.
[1] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/3592

b. General discussion about security and anonymity.

Case (a) will be closed pretty soon, I think, so IMHO the pending
issue is about (b).

> Instead, we should provide something like an
> "off-topic section" where they can discuss about privacy and
> anonimity, and where competent and volunteering users can answer to
> them. [...]

If we use Tor's Q&A website for Tails, then this proposal should
probably be made to them.

If we host a dedicated Q&A website ourselves, then it's entirely
different. I can't say I'm overly enthusiast, but I could personally
see myself considering this, if a bunch of people volunteer to take
care of this section.