Re: [Tails-dev] Problems booting into tails on machines runn…

Autor: intrigeri
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] Problems booting into tails on machines running osx mountain lion
Hi,

Jen Savage wrote (05 Jan 2013 21:22:25 GMT) :
> After creating a usb of the tails iso using unetbootin, and
> rebooting, I noticed refit wasn't recognizing the usb device.

It would be great to know the exact hardware model where
this happened.

> A bit of digging later, and it turns out that this has been a bug
> with refit for over a year now.

> Of course, the first instruction on the tails documentation for osx
> is to install refit (these instructions are just plain wrong,

After we discussed this on IRC, and I highlighted these instructions
apparently *do* work on *some* hardware, I've just emailed the person
who wrote this documentation to ask on what Mac models they work.

> but if they are going to be left up, can someone at least recommend
> making a backup before replacing the bootloader?).

I guess this would be a nice thing to do :)

> With previous versions of osx, you could boot from any bootable usb
> just by holding down the option key while starting up and then
> selecting the disk to boot from. So I tried to use the bootable usb
> on my mac, which does not have refit on it, and of course it did not
> recognize the usb drive.

Is this only related to the OSX version?
I thought some newer Apple hardware only boots with UEFI.

> A bit of digging later and I found out that apple has put in some sort of
> restrictions to prevent booting a non-osx os from usb as of Mountain Lion
> (and possibly with Lion as well, although I have not tried it).

Argh :(
Reference?

Anyway, please let us know what further progress you make on this! :)