Re: [Tails-dev] Installed app via apt-get uses default inter…

Autor: intrigeri
Para: s7r
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] Installed app via apt-get uses default internet connection or anonimizer to connect?
Hi,

s7r@??? wrote (02 Jan 2013 03:06:26 GMT) :
> I am old to Tails however I didn't use it sine a very old version. Now
> i'm playing with 0.15 and I have to confirm that is really nice, with
> just the appropriate and necessary tools and a smooth look. It is
> really great - keep on doing the good work.

Thanks a lot!

> I have one question though. I have installed OpenVPN via root
> terminal, using command:
> # apt-get install openvpn

> now openvpn is installed and works, I can connect if I want but I want
> to know, if I choose to connect to an OpenVPN server will it use the
> default internet connection (my real IP) or it will connect to the VPN
> server via the Tor network ?

Most additional applications you may install will be routed through
Tor, but some of them may fiddle with the network configuration and
change firewall rules, and that might result in them leaking out of
Tor. I don't know the specifics of OpenVPN, but it's for sure part of
the category whose effects on the firewall rules are worth inspecting
in details.

So, my answer would be: check for yourself, e.g. using netstat on the
remote end or whatever network auditing tool.

> Where is the config in tails (the firewall rules or what it uses) in
> which you can select which apps go through the normal internet
> connection and which apps go through Tor? Is there a GUI for this?

There is no such configurable thing.
The way Tails works is described there:
https://tails.boum.org/contribute/design/