Re: [Tails-dev] shared documentation project for Tails, Lib…

Autor: adrelanos
Para: tails-dev
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] shared documentation project for Tails, Liberte Linux, TBB and Whonix
sajolida@???:
> The warning page surely contains parts that could be shared between the
> different projects using Tor but some other parts are specific to Tails.
> I would love to see the warnings that are actually dealing with Tor and
> not Tails hosted by the Tor Project themselves. But I think they don’t
> have this (maybe I’m mistaken here).

They have it. Much less comprehensive. English only.
https://www.torproject.org/download/download-easy.html.en#warning

Maybe bits of the FAQ.
https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorFAQ

> Other documentation pages might deal with software included in Tails
> that might also be included in other projects, eg. Nautilus Wipe, GNOME
> Disk Utility, Vidalia. And our take on this it that they should be
> hosted upstream. I admit that we are not doing such a good job on this
> front when relating to upstream for documentation.

If you put it upstream... When you link the outside targets you'll lose
the feature "<- previous chapter" and "next chapter ->".

>From people I know, they are less likely to view outside links and to

come back. Yes, it's not Representative, maybe you know different people.

> So, I think that we will keep on hosting the documentation that is
> specific to Tails on our own website. We should surely do better are
> pushing upstream some of the stuff we are writing, including to the Tor
> Project.

I don't think that's possible. They don't have a multilingual website
and I doubt you are going to write patches and even if you were, it's
questionable if they get accepted.

With all due respect, they are quite inflexible. They still have no
forum, which is frequently requested and an important user support tool.
Well... Why? Because of perfectionism?

> If people are motivated to write a broader guide to anonymity
> I'd say it should not overlap with the specifics of each tool and rather
> point to it.

What if you don't fully agree with their documentation, or if you want
to use a different style, etc...