Re: [Tails-dev] Discuss rng-tools, randomsound? was: Support…

Autor: intrigeri
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] Discuss rng-tools, randomsound? was: Support EntropyKey?
Hi,

adrelanos wrote (16 Dec 2012 18:12:45 GMT) :
>>> If they prove as "install, improve security and forget"
>>> solutions, implementation would be as simple as adding the
>>> package.
>>
>> FYI randomsound does not belong to this category, that's why we
>> removed it from Tails.

> I searched "host:mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/ randomsound" and
> "host:tails.boum.org randomsound". There is very little informations
> available. Can you please elaborate on that?

Code changes are generally at least documented is our Git repository,
sometimes on the dev wiki, and sometimes on the mailing-list.

commit 8c13e71028884fa49b96baa4b3be58864c4ce0a5
Author: amnesia <amnesia@???>
Date: Thu Apr 29 00:02:28 2010 +0200

    Replace randomsound with haveged as an additional source of entropy.

    Some more work was needed to make randomsound work properly, whereas our
    (backported from sid) haveged package works out of the box.

("Some more work" refered to todo/boost_sound_capture_levels_on_boot.)

>> I think we already know what value rngd could bring: support for
>> TRNG hardware. So, I think the best practical course of action for
>> Tails would be to start by checking how rngd and haveged can run
>> together (as H. Peter Anvin suggests to do).

>> If this turns out to work well, I guess $SOMEONE will probably want
>> to implement this in Tails.

> Implementation is as easy as adding the Debian package?

No idea. I think "checking how rngd and haveged can run together"
first is needed to answer this question.