Re: [Tails-dev] documentation - do dont section

Autor: anonym
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] documentation - do dont section
10/12/12 22:36, adrelanos wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Tails ticket:
> https://tails.boum.org/todo/do_dont_section/
>
> I am writing:
> https://sourceforge.net/p/whonix/wiki/DoNot/
>
> At the moment absolutely Whonix agnostic. I hope and think I can leave
> it that way. It's just about the social part.
>
> Is this (part) of what you are looking for? If you like it and while I
> am at it you can suggest other topics I could write about.

It looks like a good start! Some random general points (building a bit
on what intrigeri said):

* At least for Tails' (non-technical) end-users I'd like to avoid
technical/academic terms like "anonymity set" and use more intuitive
terms like "weak/strong/less/more anonymity" instead.

* Similarly, I'd even like to s/IP address/your location/.

Some more topics (some technical, some social):

* "Don't send sensitive data without end-to-end encryption".

* "Don't disclose identifying data [which should be explained] about
yourself". If it's a must, treat it as "sensitive data" in the point
above. In fact, this point can probably be combined with the above point.

* "Do use bridges if you think Tor usage is dangerous/suspicious in your
country".

* "Don't use different online identities at the same time". You're kinda
covering this already, but it should be made more explicit.

* "Don't customize settings if you don't know their consequences; try to
live with the defaults". Due to fingerprinting issues. Bonus points for
coming up with a concise explanation of which types of settings are safe
(e.g. UI stuff) and unsafe (e.g. network stuff) in general.

Cheers!