Re: [Tails-dev] Tails-greeter UI redesign

Autor: intrigeri
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails-greeter UI redesign
hi,

alan@??? wrote (04 Oct 2012 19:21:57 GMT) :
> Well no answer so far... but I took some time to play on this, and
> have some mockups to propose. Please test!

> I'd like to hear about:

>     - your overall impression?

I like it.

>     - should keyboard selectable independently from locale in
>       one click?

If the keyboard auto-selection in function of the chosen locale was
working well, then I would answer "not necessarily".

But in the current state of Tails Greeter: keyboard layout is
imperfectly (if at all) selected in function of the chosen locale (at
least, selecting French language + Swiss locale => French keyboard
layout), so someone wanting French language + Swiss keyboard (they do
exist, don't they?) + persistence would have to go back and forth
(e.g. in v3, select language and region, then move to the keyboard
layout options, then come back to persistence UI).

>     - your navigation experience?

I like the two-steps language -> region selection UI.

About v1 - v3: if we some day have some Tails Greeter settings stored
in the encrypted persistent volume, then in these mockups it's unclear
when the persistent volume would actually be unlocked, and persistent
settings applied. v4 and v5 look very much clearer on this front.

I don't like the persistence UI being hidden in v4. I prefer the way
it is in v5.

>     - where should the locales box be?

I dislike the one on the left (v2).

In the current state of Tails, I prefer the mockups where one can
choose their preferred language on top. However, once we get this
persistent (by moving the main place where we intend this choice to be
done to Tails USB installer), then this should probably be changed so
that this option stands out less.

Also:

In the options that are presented as a list or toggle button (e.g.
keyboard selection, Windows Camouflage), what if a single-click (or
state change) on the main widget was enough to change the state and go
back to the main menu? This might feel a bit odd compared to how the
rest of the desktop works, but it would be a time-saver. I'm unsure.

About v3: how does the "main menu on the left" fit with RTL speakers?
Would the menu have to switch to the right once a RTL language
is selected?

That's all for now.