Re: [Tails-dev] Please review and test feature/tordate

Autor: intrigeri
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Temas antigos: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review and test feature/tordate
Temas novos: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review and test feature/tordate, Re: [Tails-dev] Please review and test feature/tordate
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review and test feature/tordate
Hi,

anonym wrote (06 Feb 2012 14:24:31 GMT) :
> [...] It turned out that if we want a long, stable Tor session with
> a time only handled by tordate (like when htpdate fails), then the
> only really safe thing to do is to *always*, no matter what, set the
> time to fresh-until.
> [...]
> **Conclusion:** The safest seems to be to set `V = N = W =
> fresh-until`, which effectively removes "*good enough* time" check --
> no matter what, `tordate` should make sure a consensus is fetched and
> we should always set the time to its `fresh-until`, no more, no less.

More than seven months have passed, and nobody has taken the time to
verify this analysis theoretically, so I seriously doubt anyone will
ever do that. Therefore, I propose we implement anonym's proposal,
merge that into experimental, test it in extreme conditions, play with
it for a while, and see what happens.

In case we go this way, anonym, do you want to handle this?

> This problem is partially based on Tor's extreme sensitivity to
> clocks that are behind, for which a potential fix is discussed in
> the end of the analysis. If you agree with my analysis I'm gonna
> send a bug report with the relevant parts.

Well, I suggest you do send this bug report without waiting for input
from us any further. Tor developers will be much better than us to
review your suggestions. Sorry not to be that helpful, the best I can
do about that right now is: Be bold! :)