[blag-users] Install cisco VPN client

Author: extraspecialbitter
To: blag-users
Subject: [blag-users] Install cisco VPN client

JM wrote:
> Please let me state- I am an newbie--
> trying to make the jump from MS to linux.
>
> I need a how to (specific) install a cisco VPN client in BLAG
>

> I have download the latest Ver. from cisco?
>
> Not having luck.
>
> Any direction would be greatly appreciated
>
> JM

A couple of questions: which version of BLAG are you using? I am running 90001 - you can confirm your version as follows:

Code:
pablo@patagonia=> cat /etc/blag-release
BLAG release 90001 (oxygen)

The next question would surround which package manager you are using or plan to use. both "apt" and "yum" are available, although yum is preferred on BLAG 90001.

Assuming the use of yum, you can search for any package in the BLAG repository by typing "yum search <string>". I'll use "vpn" as my search string:

Code:
root@patagonia=> yum search vpn
blag                                                     | 2.4 kB     00:00
primary.sqlite.bz2                                       | 9.0 MB     00:42
================================= Matched: vpn =================================
NetworkManager-openvpn.i386 : NetworkManager VPN integration for OpenVPN
NetworkManager-vpnc.i386 : NetworkManager VPN integration for vpnc
ike-scan.i386 : IKE protocol tool to discover, fingerprint and test IPsec VPN
              : servers
openswan.i386 : Openswan IPSEC implementation
openvpn.i386 : A full-featured SSL VPN solution
openvpn-auth-ldap.i386 : OpenVPN plugin for LDAP authentication
pptp.i386 : Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) Client
tinyca2.noarch : Simple graphical userinterface to manage a small CA
vpnc.i386 : IPSec VPN client compatible with Cisco equipment
vpnc-consoleuser.i386 : Allows console user to run the VPN client directly
wifiroamd.noarch : Automatic WiFi connection (re)establishment daemon

Of the above, "vpnc" is a fully Cisco-compatible VPN client that I've used successfully from Linux desktops. Install as follows:

Code:
root@patagonia=> yum install vpnc
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package vpnc.i386 0:0.5.1-6.fc9 set to be updated
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

 Package         Arch            Version                Repository        Size
Installing:
 vpnc            i386            0.5.1-6.fc9            blag               95 k

Transaction Summary
Install      1 Package(s)
Update       0 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)

Total download size: 95 k
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
vpnc-0.5.1-6.fc9.i386.rpm                                |  95 kB     00:00
Running rpm_check_debug
Running Transaction Test
Finished Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
  Installing     : vpnc                                              [1/1]

Installed: vpnc.i386 0:0.5.1-6.fc9
Complete!

Hope this helps. Shout if you need help configuring it.

Paul

Sent using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com).

Read this topic online here:
http://forums.blagblagblag.org/viewtopic.php?p=26425#26425