[blag-devel] FREEEEE-200808310754.ext2 versus FREEEEE-200809…

Author: extraspecialbitter
To: blag-devel
Subject: [blag-devel] FREEEEE-200808310754.ext2 versus FREEEEE-200809090129.ext2

jebba wrote:

> extraspecialbitter wrote:
> > marley@eeyore ~> uname -r
> > 2.6.26.5-8.libre1.rt7.freeeee.i686
>

> I'm running this ok with cleartext wifi.

I know some people refer to WEP as "Worthless Encryption Protocol", but I'm too close to a Starbucks to leave my wifi in the clear. They charge $ for access to TMobile, so when the latte-dah set go surfing for free alternatives, my network would be vulnerable. One of these days I'll take the plunge with WPA, but WEP was working fine for me up until yesterday's install.

jebba wrote:

> extraspecialbitter wrote:
> >

> > Code:
> >
> > [root@eeyore ~]# ifup wlan0
> >
> > Determinando la información IP para wlan0... falló.
> > [root@eeyore ~]# tail /var/log/messages
> > Sep 15 14:25:04 eeyore NET[3285]: /sbin/dhclient-script : updated /etc/resolv.conf
> > Sep 15 14:25:04 eeyore dhclient: bound to 192.168.0.14 -- renewal in 36284 seconds.
> >

> At this point you have an internet connection, yay! Use it quick cuz it appears to last for about 7 seconds.

too funny! unfortunately my fingers aren't fast enough to do much more than change from desktop 1 to 2 in 7 seconds...

jebba wrote:

> extraspecialbitter wrote:
> > Sep 15 14:32:18 eeyore kernel: ACPI: EC: GPE storm detected, disabling EC GPE
>

> Hrmmm. I've seen non-freeeee users report this in freenode #eeepc, but haven't seen it myself. Does it happen with the live boot as well or just in the install? (/me thinks that is going to become a common first question).

Just tried out the latest live image, and I get a slightly different, but no less discouraging error:

Code:
wlan0: link is not ready

I noticed that /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts has no ifcfg-wlan0 (or ifcfg-eth0) scripts, which I assume is expected pre-liveinst.

jebba wrote:

> As a side note, do you use the Fn keys to control volume, on/off wifi and such?

I don't, having learned my lesson with a Dell B130 a few years back. My blue wifi light is on, and I seem to seen networks when doing an "iwlist scan", so I won't mess with it.

I just copied FREEEEE-200809070611.ext2 (the previous image) to my USB stick. Perhaps I'll give that a whirl live to see if there is any difference...

Sent using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com).

Read this topic online here:
http://forums.blagblagblag.org/viewtopic.php?p=26201#26201