[Hackmeeting] OpenCON 2006

Autor: Marco Sgarbi
Para: hackmeeting
Asunto: [Hackmeeting] OpenCON 2006

OpenCON 2006 :: The first conference entirely dedicated to OpenBSD!

December 2006 :: Mestre/Venice - Italy

Free Access Event

OpenCON was born in September 2004 from an idea by goony and fabioFVZ. The
main aim is to create a conference entirely dedicated to OpenBSD and to
gather users and OpenBSD-enthusiasts from all over the world to let them
share their knowledge, experiences and information about the operating
system.

The conference is entirely organized by OpenBEER (http://www.openbeer.it),
the italian OpenBSD users group. OpenCON lasts about two days and, as usual,
many official developers have already confirmed their presence. The main
topics will be: information security, secure programming, and anything
related to OpenBSD. The manifestation is completely free of charge, but it
will be possible to buy tshirts and gadgets to fund both OpenCON and
OpenBSD. Travel and accomodation details can be found in the concerning
sections.

:::::: Call for Relators :::::::::

OpenCON is the first european conference entirely dedicated to OpenBSD. The
manifestation will take place in Mestre/Venice, Italy, on December. Some
OpenBSD developers, have already confirmed their presence. It will be
possible to follow many speeches, use the conference LAN, speak with other
OpenBSD-enthusiasts and, of course, share any kind of knowledge. For more
information visit the conference website: http://www.opencon.org or write us
at: info@???.

::::::: The Call ::::::::::

The OpenCON program committee is inviting relators to submit innovative
original and interesting speeches on the applications, architecture,
implementation, performance and security of OpenBSD operating system. The
speeches and slides must be in english. Topics of interest for the OpenCON
Conference 2006 include, but are not limited to:

kernel hacking
embedded application development and deployment
device drivers
security and safe coding practices
system administration: techniques and tools of the trade
operational and economic aspects

The extended abstract should explain clearly what are the topics and the
aims of the speech in either PostScript or PDF format. Submissions
accompanied by a non-disclosure agreement will be rejected.

Authors of accepted submissions have to provide a full paper for publication
in the conference proceedings and allow the organizers to publish the
results in the printed proceedings and on the conference web site.
Instructions to authors will be available on the conference web site.

::::: ABOUT US :::::::::

Theo de Raadt
from: http://kerneltrap.org/node/6550

Jeremy Andrews: Each year OpenBSD sponsors a "hackathon", flying developers
in from all over the world. How does the project pay for these events, and
what is gained?

Theo de Raadt: The hotel is paid for either by the project directly out of
our CD sales money. Twice, DARPA money paid for the event. Another time,
NLnet gave us a donation that helped a fair bit. And finally, another time a
company made a very large contribution to thank us for a feature pf had just
gained (the overload keyword).

Jeremy Andrews: Why are these events so important to OpenBSD?

Theo de Raadt: I think it is clear that putting people together in a room
makes a lot of things move smoother.

Jeremy Andrews: You've also made mention of "mini-hackathons". How do these
work, and are any currently planned?

Theo de Raadt: A few years ago we held a mini-hackathon for pf specifically,
after a cansecwest conference in Vancouver which a few developers were
attending. The mini-hackathon was held in a cabin near the town of Sechelt,
in the woods, up the Sunshine coast; it even took a ferry ride to get there.
I think there were about 15 people, staying in giant hunting tents that our
hunting developer Bob brought from Edmonton. The cabin had power, but no
net! There was a DSL link just under 1k away, up a hill, but it was at the
maximum distance. We cut with a machete and rolled fiber through the bramble
between the two buildings, and then we had net and could do commits! We were
afraid that the deer would break the fiber, but the next day we saw them
avoiding it, very carefully stepping over it...

The pf hackathon was very successful. It took a few years, but last November
before the OpenCon conference in Venice we held a "ports" hackathon on San
Servelo island in the Venician bay. That was absolutely incredible, and very
productive, with the remaining package upgrade stuff being completed at the
event.

For general, organization and sponsorship infos, please write an email to
info@???