[Tails-project] Tails report for April 2019

Author: sajolida
To: tails-project
CC: tor-project
Subject: [Tails-project] Tails report for April 2019
Releases
========

* Tails 3.14 is scheduled for May 21.

Code
====

- The Foundations Team met for a sprint focused on porting Tails to
Debian 10 (Buster):

https://lists.autistici.org/message/20190408.075929.1c2952c0.en.html
https://lists.autistici.org/message/20190429.091241.82e34497.en.html

- We finalized our criteria for including dictionaries, fonts and
language packs, which will be reflected in Tails 3.14.

- We prototyped a USB image with Secure Boot support and GRUB, in order
to better understand what implementation difficulties we should
expect.

- We submitted to ikiwiki upstream a branch that makes it keep PO files
up-to-date for a set of languages that are not ready to be enabled and
visible on the live website yet. This will allow us to merge into our
main Git repository changes made via our upcoming Weblate-based
translation platform, which supports languages whose work-in-progress
translation is not ready for prime-time yet.

https://ikiwiki.info/todo/_Add_ikiwiki_PO-Plugin_to_ignore_languages/)

- We uploaded to Debian a few fixes for regressions in the GNOME on-
screen keyboard.

https://tracker.debian.org/news/1038188/accepted-gnome-shell-3302-6-source-into-unstable/

Hot topics on our help desk
===========================

1. Some users reported loosing the access to their persistent volume

https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/issues/10976

2. A few reported the "USB stick becomes unbootable boot after first
boot" issue

https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/issues/16389

3. Some issues caused by partially applied incremental upgrades

https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/issues/14754

Infrastructure
==============

- The Foundations Team started experimenting with GitLab for
merge requests.

https://salsa.debian.org/tails-team/tails/merge_requests/?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=merged).

- We started looking into how GitLab could work for our issues
tracking and drafted a rough plan.

https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/GitLab

Funding
=======

- We started working on a proposal for Mozilla Open Source Support
Awards.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/moss/

Outreach
========

Past events
-----------

- sajolida, moire, and emmapeel were at the [Internet Freedom
Festival on April 1-5 in Valencia, Spain.

There, sajolida presented a workshop on "Creating usable tools from
day one with paper prototyping"

https://platform.internetfreedomfestival.org/en/IFF2019/public/schedule/custom/975).

- carlosm2 (@dospesosinc) held 2 workshops about Tails in Mexico:

- On April 13 at the Colima Hacklab

    https://twitter.com/dospesosinc/status/1115675448753573888

- On April 25 at UNAM, Ciudad de Mexico

    https://flisol.acatlan.unam.mx/

- There was a Tails workshop on April 27 in Vienna as part of the
Anarchist Black Cross festival

https://abcfestvienna.noblogs.org/post/2019/04/11/tails-workshop-saturday-4-pm/

On-going discussions
====================

- We studied and narrowed down our options regarding the future of
Electrum in Tails. It seems there will be a way forward, although it's
unclear at this point how much effort it will require from us.

https://lists.autistici.org/message/20190429.094536.22d3598f.en.html

Metrics
=======

* Tails has been started more than 733 234 times this month. This makes
24 441 boots a day on average.

--
sajolida