Re: [Tails-dev] Tails vs Electrum

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails vs Electrum
intrigeri:
> sajolida:
>> In terms of documentation:
>>
>> - We've had an unusable version of Electrum in Tails for 1.5 month and,
>> if we can't make it usable again, we should consider removing it at
>> some point, independently of the Debian status of the package. Please
>> let me know if we reach a point where we should remove it and I'll
>> update the doc.
>
> Depending on how fast the discussions s7r started with potential
> Debian co-maintainers go, it might be realistic to ship a fixed
> version of Electrum in our 2019-07-09 release. So perhaps it's
> not worth the effort to remove it just yet.

Ok, I'll wait some more months. I wouldn't be able to do this sooner anyway.

>> - I'm still ready to build up on s7r's tutorial and explain how to run
>> the AppImage in Tails for advanced users as I offered in the opening
>> post of this thread.
>
> It could be a waste of effort if we manage to fix the problem
> properly soon.
>
> In any cane, it's not clear to me that this is something we should
> support, recommend, or even suggest: while it's safer for some users
> than the alternative (using that AppImage outside of Tails), for most
> users it exposes their other Tails data and activity to additional
> risks. I would be fine with something along the lines of "if you use
> Tails *only* for Electrum, fine, go for it; otherwise, please be
> patient".

Right. I think that my concern was mostly about not loosing too many
users (and potential donors) and that some doc could help them stick to
Tails anyway without the drawbacks of including the AppImage ourselves.
But of course, with all due warnings :)

--
sajolida