Re: [Tails-project] [Tails-ux] Success metrics for Additiona…

Author: intrigeri
Subject: Re: [Tails-project] [Tails-ux] Success metrics for Additional Software (#15979) and VeraCrypt integration (#15976)
hi,

sajolida:
> This lead me to reflect on how we promote changes and new features to
> our users.

Indeed.

> I came to believe that an important part of our old user base has a hard
> time learning about the new things in Tails. When interviewing Tails
> users or talking to security trainers, I often realize that they are not
> up-to-date with the changes in Tails even many months afterwards.

This matches my experience when talking with these groups.
E.g. I've heard trainers request features that we had released
N months before.

> I think we could get more impact from all the great work that we do in
> Tails by communicating more about it and letting infrequent or older
> users know what's new.

> The first ideas that came to my mind to improve on this are:

> - A "Learn what's new" when doing an upgrade. We would know which
> version the user is upgrading from and could customize the message.

> - A "Did you know" message on /home about the changes we did in the past
> year or so.

This, and perhaps:

- communicating about WIP *upcoming* improvements on Twitter, to get
folks excited and eager to discover & test them (I don't know if it
works but I see other projects do that)