Re: [Tails-dev] frontdesk report weeks 7/8 2019

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] frontdesk report weeks 7/8 2019
emma peel:
> ey there!
>
> A quick report of my last shift, finished on Feb 18th.

Hi, thanks for the report!

Summaries like this make it easier for me to do my UX job.

> - I guess this is not news, but the fact that we are having two different images creates problems for users,

Actually it is new to me. Since we rolled out USB images on January 29,
you're the first one reporting this to me (apart from #16470).

Like I did on #16470, we need to analyze what lead people to such
situations and then we might have to fix stuff in the doc, in the tools,
in the website, etc. For example, #16470 is being fixed in Tails
Installer in Debian, adding more warnings on the website might have been
counterproductive.

> they use the images for one process to do the other, so I have received reports of 'Not possible to make persistent folder' because the user has installed the ISO with Etcher instead of using the .img,

Next time you see one of these, please create a ticket and reference the
reports in it so I can also hopefully understand better the root cause.

> users wiping up their Persistence because of using Etcher to upgrade Tails, and similar.

This one is addressed on #16470 and I think we found the root cause in
Debian.

> I suspect this two image situation will increase frontdesk workload and frustrate users.

My guess is that people facing such issues are people who were used to
ISO images and are following their past habits and shortcuts. If I'm
guessing right, we're dealing with some change management here and
things might calm down in the future.

But we should keep on analyzing these issues more in depth to see how we
can further improve the website for new users (and old users why they
are getting used to it).

> - Many users try to verify with GPG without much knowledge about how GPG works, and as the messages they receive are not the ones we show on the docs, they freak out and write to support. I think they don't realize this step is optional.

I'd also be interested in getting in touch with such people to
understand better where the problem lies. Please point me to some such
reports where the users seems to be someone I could have a reasonable
conversation with.

> - With the help of TheNerdyAnarchist and other contributor we are trying to take care of the abandoned Tails reddit forum, where I am a moderator now.

Great!

--
sajolida