Re: [Tails-ux] Tails improvement

Author: sajolida
To: Jean-Marie HURAND, Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Tails improvement
Jean-Marie HURAND:
> Bonjour,

Hi!

>> Do you have examples of machines that are too old to boot on USB but
>>> still fulfill the other system requirements for Tails to run fine?
>
> Yes, my 2 old PC:
>
> FUJITSU Esprimo P2560
> ---------------------
> From: Apr. 2010
> Processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5500 - 2,8 GHz
> 64 bits supported
> Memory: 6 GB
> Graphic card: nVidia GeForce GT220
>
> HP Compaq dc5800 Business PC
> ---------------------------
> From: Oct. 2009
> Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2180 - 2 GHz
> 64 bits supported
> Memory: 6 GB
> Graphic: puces Express Intel Q33
>
> They don't boot on USB. I have installed "Plop Boot Manager" and Tails
> runs fine.

Wow, I didn't know these machines could run Tails. Interesting!

I did some stats on a bunch of WhisperBack reports to see what CPU
family people using Tails have on their machines. Here they are (I'm
only showing the Intel ones):

    567 Intel Core
    103 Intel Core2
     50 Intel Celeron
     45 Intel Pentium
      9 Intel Atom
      8 Intel Xeon
    893 Total (including non-Intel)

Indeed, some people using Tails on Intel Pentium of the same generation
as yours. It's probably less than 5% of our user base. From these ~5%,
probably a minority would be tech-savvy enough to install Plop in the
first place.

So thank you for the tip but I don't think it's worth adding it to our
installation instructions for the general public.

>> It's also problematic to have so many websites blocking Tor. A solution
>>> could be to make it possible to have a VPN after Tor
>> https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/vpn_support/
>
> I don't know how install VPN after Tor. In your link I read:
> "We could write on how to use that in an "unsupported, advanced users
> only, may kill kittens" part of the documentation."
>
> I hope that this documentation will be written soon and that I will be
> notified.

Right. This blueprint is about our plans (with no calendar in sight)
about how we could support VPN in Tails but I don't think it's possible
as of know.

>> You will get more attention (and trust) if you write
>>> your text directly in the body of your emails.
>
> Thank you for this information. Now, I know for the next time. Excuse me
> for my .pdf files.

You're welcome :)

--
sajolida