Re: [Tails-l10n] Dropping CSS formating for GUI documentatio…

Author: u
To: tails-l10n
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Dropping CSS formating for GUI documentation
Hi!

sajolida:
>> Maybe i'm wrong, but isn't it also possible to use custom html
>> attributes nowadays? Something like
>> <application>Tails Installer</application>
>> would (imo) also be an improvement and would not have the downside of
>> losing the 'styleability'.
>
> HTML 5 allows you to define custom data-* attributes:
>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/HTML/Howto/Use_data_attributes
>
> An attribute being a property of a tag. But I don't think HTML 5 allows
> you to create custom *tags*.

Actually it is possible to define custom tags:
https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/web-components/customelements

It's now part of the standard, but it has to be done with JS and I don't
think this is something we want to rely on, as we do not build an app,
but simply a website.

>>> For example:
>>>
>>> - <span class="application">Tails Installer</span>
>>>
>>> Would become:
>>>
>>> - *Tails Installer*

When we wrote the partners page in HTML, we paid great attention to
separate all the strings, so that not much HTML appeared in the PO files.

The PO plugin basically reads things in <p> tags at once it seems. So if
you would rename your <span class="whatever"> into <p class="whatever">,
the HTML would not appear in the PO file.

I know this is not always possible, but it's something that could be
improved on some pages.

Cheers!
u.