[Tails-testers] [Tails-news] Call for testing: 3.9~rc1

Author: Tails - News
To: amnesia-news
Subject: [Tails-testers] [Tails-news] Call for testing: 3.9~rc1
You can help Tails! The first release candidate for the upcoming version 3.9
is out. We are very excited and cannot wait to hear what you think about it :)

# Changes

## Upgrades and changes

* Integrate the _Additional Software Packages_ feature into the desktop and revamp the interface of "Configure Persistent Volume".

* Support unlocking _TrueCrypt_ and _VeraCrypt_ encrypted volumes on the desktop.

* Upgrade _Tor Browser_ to 8.0a9, based on Firefox 60 ESR.

* Upgrade _Thunderbird_ to 60.0b10.

* Improve hardware support: upgrade some graphics drivers, firmware, and upgrade _Linux_ to 4.17.

* Upgrade _tor_ to 0.3.4.6-rc.

* Due to security concerns the _Liferea_ feed reader will be removed from Tails by the end of 2018. Please migrate your feeds to Thunderbird.

## Fixed problems

* Don't display the Enigmail configuration wizard in every Tails session.

* Many problems fixed in _Tails Installer_ and elsewhere. For more details, read our [changelog](https://git-tails.immerda.ch/tails/plain/debian/changelog).

# Known issues

_Tor Browser_ always prompts whether it should ask webpages in English This
will be fixed in Tails 3.9
([#15706](https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/15706)).

The first time _Tor Browser_ is started in a given Tails session, the
_NoScript_ icon is not displayed ([bug #23359 on Tor Project's
Trac](https://bugs.torproject.org/23359)). If you need this icon, restart _Tor
Browser_.

This version may be slower than usual to start from DVD.

See the list of [long-standing
issues](https://tails.boum.org/support/known_issues/index.en.html).

# How to test Tails 3.9~rc1?

**Keep in mind that this is a test image**. We tested that it is not broken in obvious ways, but it might still contain undiscovered issues.

But test wildly!

If you find anything that is not working as it should, please report to us on
[tails-testers@???](mailto:tails-testers@boum.org).

Bonus points if you first check if it is a [known issue of this
release](https://tails.boum.org/news/index.en.html#known_issues) or a
[longstanding known
issue](https://tails.boum.org/support/known_issues/index.en.html).

## Upgrade from 3.8

1. Start Tails 3.8 on a USB stick installed using _Tails Installer_ and [set an administration password](https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/startup_options/administration_password/index.en.html).

2. Run this command in a Terminal to select the "alpha" upgrade channel and start the upgrade:

        echo TAILS_CHANNEL=\"alpha\" | sudo tee -a /etc/os-release && \
         tails-upgrade-frontend-wrapper

and enter the administration password when asked for the "password for
amnesia".

3. After the upgrade is installed, restart Tails and choose Applications ▸ Tails ▸ About Tails to verify that you are running Tails 3.9~rc1.

## Download and install

You can install 3.9~rc1 by following our usual [installation
instructions](https://tails.boum.org/install/index.en.html), skipping the
**Download and verify** step.

[Tails 3.9~rc1 ISO image](http://dl.amnesia.boum.org/tails/alpha/tails-
amd64-3.9~rc1/tails-amd64-3.9~rc1.iso) [OpenPGP
signature](https://tails.boum.org/torrents/files/tails-amd64-3.9~rc1.iso.sig)
[Tails 3.9~rc1 torrent](https://tails.boum.org/torrents/files/tails-
amd64-3.9~rc1.torrent)

# What's coming up?

Tails 3.9 is [scheduled](https://tails.boum.org/contribute/calendar/) for
September 5.

Have a look at our [roadmap](https://tails.boum.org/contribute/roadmap) to see
where we are heading to.

We need your help and there are many ways to [contribute to
Tails](https://tails.boum.org/contribute/index.en.html)
([donating](https://tails.boum.org/donate?r=3.9-rc1) is only one of them).
Come [talk to us](https://tails.boum.org/about/contact/index.en.html#tails-
dev)!